27 June 2010

World Cup, Live in Dapaong!


Well I guess I’m pulling for Ghana in the World Cup now. Bummer of a loss, if not a little heartbreaking! Not going to lie, having been away from competitive sports for almost a year now, I got into the game last night. I had the occasion to be in Dapaong and was able to sit down for the game in Bar El Dorado, downtown. With the picture, hopefully you now have an idea for what a sports bar in Togo looks like. A small TV hooked up to a satellite for a room full of people holding their oversized beers, trying to follow Ghana as far into the World Cup as their last remaining African team will take them.

Watching on with 5 other Americans, I think I can fairly safely say that we were the only ones in the room pulling for the U.S. Not to say that people don’t like the U.S. here, because that is not the case (as an American I have always felt well received here in Togo). However, African pride for this World Cup (and any World Cup I think, though especially this one, being in South Africa) is very strong! And it’s interesting, because it’s almost like people don’t care which country it is that succeeds in the World Cup, just so long as it’s African. One might think that because Ghana is next door to Togo that of course people would be pulling for their neighbor on the world stage (here in the Dapaong area Ghana is roughly 20 km away and Ghanaians are frequently encountered, even in my village). But, I feel like people would have rooted almost just as passionately against the U.S. (or whoever) whether it was Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d’Ivoire or South Africa playing because they represent “l’Africain”.

In fact, I fairly often feel that people here identify themselves as African, before Togolese, Ghanaian or whatever nationality. I finally really understood this last night when the guy I was sitting next to explained to me why “Les Etats-Unis doivent partir”. In his mind, he was down to his last African team left in the cup out of 5. It was Africa’s last chance for an African team to win the World Cup. As of last night, the Americas still had 4 teams playing (Argentina, U.S, Mexico and Brazil?). He was assuming that my being American meant that I had 4 teams left to root for. “Ça reste 4 équipes pour l’Amérique, or l’Afrique n’a que Ghana! Ghana doit gagner !” Thus for the U.S. to eliminate the last African team would be selfish when I could still root for Brazil, Argentina or Mexico if we lost! Of course, I did my best to explain that our sense of pride rests with the U.S. and that I didn’t really care about the other teams, but regardless, that conversation helped shine some light onto my understanding of the African identity as a continent and what that means to people here.

Needless to say, people were ecstatic when Ghana scored in overtime. They might have celebrated a little more than usual considering that 6 defeated Americans were in the same room, but I think the joy was pretty widespread regardless of our presence. I’m sure the reaction was the same in village, where people are surprisingly well tuned in. A couple people have been running generators and a dish to watch in on the games, and a good amount of others lounge around boutiques or family concessions listening to the matches on their short-wave radios. Anyway, not sure I have a choice now. They still have to be a long shot, but what the heck, I’ll root for Ghana.

2 comments:

  1. Chris...glad you could catch a game or two! Zach thoroughly enjoyed his 16 days in South Africa, catching all 3 US games, with the 3rd game coming on his birthday! He also enjoyed the people, culture, a golf game, safari and a friendly game of football with the locals, where he scored the only US goal! Catch that pic and more next time you're online at www.theamericanoutlaws.com on Korey's South African Blog. He made it home late Friday and went to watch the US vs Ghana game downtown and I don't think he's over the disappointment yet! The US played well during the tournament and it's too bad we couldn't pull out another victory! But, Go Yanks.... Hope you are well, and hope you keep up the blog...love reading it! Oh, and thanks for the birthday wishes!
    Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like reading your accounts. I was a PCV back in '96-'98 down in a little village (Kotadjou) about 20 km from Atakpame. Thanks for posting your comments. It helps to keep me connected to that very vibrant and increasingly distant part of my life.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete