22 September 2009

Back in the resto quick

Back at the same restaurant/hotel and it's night time. It's around 8 here even though my computer still says 4. No lizard yet tonight, but instead there are these small, hard, green, almost coconut like fruits falling from the tree above about every 5 minutes. They make a hard snap as they hit the cement or crash through a plant. Sitting next to me is a man from Amsterdam doing business with local cocoa growers. He calls the fruits les couilles de singe, but I know he has no idea. He says the cocoa he buys here is good but business can be a pain because the locals like their money up front and that is not how he is used to doing business.

I already feel like I've been here for a long time. Hard to imagine that the other Americans I'm here with I've only known for less than a week. I've been in Togo 3 full days now and it feels like much longer (in a good way). I think my body is starting to get on Togo time. 6 a.m. (when I've been waking up), hardly seems as early as it usually does. And fortunately I've been sleeping fine. And ya know I don't think the bathroom's are bad at all by general standards. Each stall has crammed into it a shower, sink, toilet and bucket (can't flush the tp here so guess what it's for!). Plus, the power's only gone out twice!

Whether you believe it or not, we already have cell phones here. Didn't picture myself walking around Africa with a Blackberry in my pocket, but in fact phones are very much the norm.

We've picked up juggling as a free time activity. When we have some time we take to the sandy street and juggle, 4 or 5 of us, in a circle, taking care to keep an eye and an ear out for the next motorcycle or passerby.

Could be a bit before I get another post up, but I have to go. A German student has a test to take on the internet and the fewer the people using the connection the better it will work. He's nervous but polite, so I'm not going to push it!

7 comments:

  1. Awesome.
    Just saw you mom's email.
    So glad you made it safe and glad you are adjusting so quickly.
    Looking forward to 'hearing' more about it when you have time.
    (Hey, the stone fireplace and shadowboxed gun in the background of you photo look very familiar ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the posts! Any luck meeting another volunteer by the name of Thompson? You should get in touch with Mrs. Hauke's contact Becca Friedrichs if you can. We're looking forward to you posting pictures if at all possible!
    Keep the bugs at bay, and enjoy the people you meet! And don't forget to try out that blackberry once in a while. . .
    Love, Mum and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris....Very excited to follow you on this adventure! Be safe, have a blast and keep in touch as much as you can! We all love you!
    Aunt Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Donny! I hope all is well. I've been thinking about you lately and wondering how you're doing, sounds like you're doing just fine! Can't wait to hear the next post!
    ~Shannon Martin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris called this morning!! He is in a family home in a village (no longer in Lome) where he will be for the next 10 weeks. No electricity and he hasn't much opportunity to post comments, so it may be some time before he updates this blog. In the meantime, anyone who follows this blog can know that he is doing well, eating well (fufu, papaya), sleeping well (until the roosters wake him up at 5am), and spending plenty of time with other Peace Corps volunteers! Keep the comments coming. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donny! I'm so glad you started this blog. I have been thinking about you lots this last week, so I'm glad to know everything's been going smoothly. I am so proud of you. Safe travels buddy, and lots of love!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thrilled to hear you are enjoying your adventure. And very glad you're taking us all along with you. Your blogs are great! Thank you! Take care and keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete